By Craig Austin
A few weeks ago, I learned that there are only 130 Dermatologists in South Africa. This is an astounding fact! Further to this, I was told that if you need to see one of these specialists, it can take up to a year to get an appointment. A lot can happen in a year, especially if you have some form of Cancer.
There is not much that can be done in the short term about the lack of specialists, but a solution to the back log of patients could well be as simple as sharing information from a different point of care; empower a General Practitioner (GP) to be able to see a patient, take a photo of a growth/ mole that looks suspicious, and then upload the picture to an EHR system of some sorts.
Once the upload has been completed, the Dermatologist can assess the photo and make notes onto the patient records which the GP could access. If the diagnosis is serious, then an emergency appointment can be made.
This means that more patients can be accessed via the GP channel, and result in much quicker care for the patients that really need urgent medical assistance. It would also free up the Dermatologist to focus on the critical cases as opposed to general check-ups.
The Printsol offerings allow the capture of photos (and various other forms of documents) from any mobile device and through various connectors we can route the document to a specific patients’ file in the EHR.
Some additional key features and benefits of our e-Copy for the medical industry are listed below:
- Complements centralized operations with simplified point-of-care scanning
- Provides access to incoming paper records in minutes instead of days
- Gives a standardized interface across capture devices to support HIM scanning protocols
- Increases productivity with easy-to-find, logically named, searchable files
- Simplified EHR integration through IHE XDS.b and XDR profiles
- Dynamic patient look-ups with PDQ (Patient Demographic Query) support
- Batch processing with barcodes and coversheets
- Integration with popular ECM, fax server, and business applications
For more details contact firstname.lastname@example.org